Please enable JavaScript to experience the full functionality of GMX.

Steve Bruce won't quit as Newcastle boss

Steve Bruce has vowed to carry on as Newcastle manager.

The Magpies boss is under pressure as his team have gone eight matches without a win and fell to a 1-0 defeat at Sheffield United - who hadn't claimed three points in the league until Tuesday's (12.01.21) match - but Bruce insists that he has no plans to quit.

He said: "I'll never ever walk away from a challenge.

"I've been in it long enough to have that respect, but I understand especially watching the first half - we weren't good enough and I take the responsibility for that, because I picked the team."

Bruce believes his team have made a "decent start" to the season and suggested that difficult opponents in recent matches had contributed to Newcastle's winless run.

He told reporters: "I think we've had, apart from the last month which we knew would be difficult with the run of fixtures we've had, we've given ourselves a decent start to the season."

Newcastle were beaten by Billy Sharp's second-half penalty given as a result of Federico Fernandez's handball but Bruce slammed the video assistant referee (VAR) for its role in the decisive call.

He said: "I have to say the decision for the penalty is poor.

"I'm asking the referee now why when he doesn't give it to start with he says Fedi's intentionally handled it, I don't see how he can say that - when you're running, your arms are going to move, and it looked a foul to me. Billy Sharp's got a hold of his shirt.

"I thought the referee got it spot on when he didn't give it, if that's intentional handball and VAR's supposed to be clear and obvious."

Sponsored Content