It’s now been confirmed that IBF, WBA and WBO heavyweight champion Joshua will face Oleksandr Usyk at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on September 25. Joshua had previously been lined-up to face Fury, before the latter was ordered to fight Deontay Wilder, leaving Joshua to take on the Ukrainian instead.
But he doesn’t want to dwell on what might have been and feels his opponent is a “serious” challenger.
Speaking to Sky Sports about the breakdown of talks to fight Fury, Joshua, 31, said: "I don't want to point any fingers.
“I was definitely ready.
“We move forward.
“I've got another challenger who's good, just as good.
"I have to be serious about him now.
"He will definitely step up, he will definitely take the fight.
“That's what I need - people that are serious.
"I would have loved to have boxed for the undisputed championship because it was a big fight for the public.
“We had everything set up.
"I have to move forward and not keep dwelling."
Fury and Wilder’s fight was originally supposed to take place this month but had to be moved back to October 9 after Fury caught coronavirus. And despite this putting a potential bout between Fury and Joshua back even further, Joshua is “ready” for whatever the future may bring fight-wise.
He said: "The most important fight for me is the next one but you have to have a vision of where you want to get to.
"I have to stay consistent and stay ready.
"Once I fight Usyk, who knows what will happen next?
"Will I fight Fury, Wilder, Dillian Whyte, Andy Ruiz, Luis Ortiz?
"I have to stay on track and ready for each fight, but have a long-term plan.
"It's about the belts, not the person.
"I don't mind who it is.
"I want to fight for legacy."