Please enable JavaScript to experience the full functionality of GMX.

Pele on the mend following surgery to remove a tumour

Pele says he is "recovering well" following surgery to remove a tumour from his colon.

The 80-year-old former footballer was admitted to hospital after tests determined he had a tumour in his right colon.

After having an operation to remove the said tumour Pele suggests he is now thankfully on the road to recovery.

Taking to Instagram the Brazilian said he instead wanted to send "all my affection, love and prayers" to his close friend, the singer Roberto Carlos, whose 52-year-old music producer son, Dudu Braga, tragically died from cancer yesterday (8.9.21).

Pele said: "I'm recovering well, but today I want to send all my affection, love and prayers to my great friend Roberto Carlos.

"I wish that God would comfort your heart and that you be surrounded by care and light."

Earlier this week it was revealed that Pele had an operation to remove the tumour.

Seemingly in response to at-the-time unconfirmed newspaper reports which suggested the former centre-forward had been in hospital for six days, Pele posted on social media to confirm he'd had surgery to remove a "suspicious lesion" last Saturday.

He wrote on Instagram: "My friends, thank you very much for the kind messages.

"I thank God for feeling very well and for allowing Dr. Fábio and Dr. Miguel to take care of my health.

"Last Saturday I underwent surgery to remove a suspicious lesion in the right colon.

"The tumour was identified during the tests I mentioned last week.

"Fortunately, I'm used to celebrating great victories alongside you.

"I will face this match with a smile on my face, a lot of optimism and joy for living surrounded by the love of my family and friends."

Sponsored Content