Please enable JavaScript to experience the full functionality of GMX.

Facebook finds no evidence of third party apps breach

Facebook has found "no evidence" that third party apps were accessed by hackers.

The social network lunched an investigation into a security breach revealed last week which saw 50 million people affected by a vulnerability in the site's 'view as' feature.

The attack exploited code associate with the feature and meant they were able to steal "access tokens" used to take over people's profiles.

Although Facebook - who revoked the tokens - admitted the breach could impact third party apps like Instagram, Spotify and Tinder, they have now said that's not the case.

In a blog post on Tuesday (02.10.18), Facebook's vice president of product management Guy Rosen said: "We have now analyzed our logs for all third-party apps installed or logged during the attack we discovered last week.

"That investigation has so far found no evidence that the attackers accessed any apps using Facebook Login.

"Any developer using our official Facebook SDKs - and all those that have regularly checked the validity of their users' access tokens - were automatically protected when we reset people's access tokens."

Facebook confirmed they took a precautionary measure to log around 90 million people out of their accounts.

The company had already informed the FBI and Irish Data Protection Commission by the time they told the public about the attack.

While the investigation is underway, it's still in its early stages and Facebook hasn't discovered who was behind the attacks yet.

Sponsored Content