Please enable JavaScript to experience the full functionality of GMX.

Steve Bruce thinks other clubs objecting might have influenced Newcastle's takeover failure

Newcastle manager Steve Bruce said he "would not be surprised" if the Premier League had been pressured by other clubs to stop the Magpies' takeover.

In a tribunal on Wednesday (1.10.21) it was alleged that the league were "improperly influenced" by "major clubs" and had "abused its position".

However, Premier League chief Richard Masters insisted there was no lobbying.

But Bruce said: "You wouldn't want another big player on the patch would you?

"So it wouldn't surprise me, no."

However, Bruce insisted he hadn't watched the tribunal and believes talk of the takeover has become "boring".

He said: "It seems a bit complicated for me.

"I'm going to be brutally honest and say I've not got a clue.

"I'm aware there is a hearing going on - what it's all about, where it's going you will have to ask other people.

"You probably you know more than I do."

And he also insisted he finds switching off from takeover talk relatively straight forward.

Her said: "I have to.

"It's an ongoing saga, and it's been going on for two years.

"My job is to win a football match, which is difficult enough, and focus on the team and how we are going to play."

"If [the takeover] benefits the club, then great.

"I only want what's best for the club.

"If that means a takeover then great.

"It's been hanging around, it's not an excuse, but it's difficult at times, of course, because it's reported on, and it's become boring, if you like.

"How many stories are there about the takeover?

"I just try and switch off."

Sponsored Content