Please enable JavaScript to experience the full functionality of GMX.

Joseph Parker’s promoter David Higgins questions Oleksandr Usyk’s injury amid world title showdown

Joseph Parker’s promoter David Higgins questions Oleksandr Usyk’s injury amid world title showdown

Joseph Parker’s promoter David Higgins has questioned Oleksandr Usyk’s injury during talks of a world title showdown.

Lupesoliai La’auliolemalietoa, 33, and his team are looking to negotiate with The Cat, 38, for a WBO mandatory title fight, though Usyk has requested an extension for the talks after sustaining an injury.

Since then, Usyk has been spotted dancing at a music concert in a clip uploaded to social media, and Higgins has now questioned how serious the undisputed world heavyweight’s injury really is.

Speaking with Sky Sports, he said: “I haven't actually seen the medical evidence but you would think that a serious injury would prevent that sort of activity.

“As far as I'm concerned, things are exactly as they were. In boxing, nothing surprises me.”

Usyk and Parker have not yet begun negotiations for the bout, which was mandated on July 24 with a 30-day deadline to reach an agreement before a purse bid.

Parker - a former WBO champion - can challenge Usyk for all of his major titles if the fight goes ahead, and Higgins has stressed the boxer is itching to get back in the ring.

The promoter said: “Joseph just wants to fight and so he's waiting to fight. He is focused, prepared and ready to fight anyone, anywhere, and he's waiting for that to land.

“Joseph would like to fight this year for sure, as soon as possible.”

Following Usyk’s victory over Daniel Dubois in July at London's Wembley Stadium, The Cat was ordered to defend his heavyweight title against Parker by the WBO, though Lupesoliai La’auliolemalietoa’s team claimed they have had “no engagement” from Usyk’s side.

Higgins said: “There is no noise, no engagement, no negotiation from Usyk's team. All thinking and wisdom is that Usyk doesn't want to defend his WBO world title. That is the feeling.”

Usyk’s team director Serhii Lapin insisted the boxer had earned the right to “choose his own future” after beating Dubois.

He told Ready to Fight: “The champion has earned the chance to let his body recover from the effects of a punishing training regime and from injuries that are often invisible to the outside world. And, ultimately, simply to rest and spend time with his family.

“Most importantly: he has earned the right to choose his own future - and to take the time he needs to make that decision. So, guys, don't push the horses.”

Sponsored Content

Related Headlines